Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Review - The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner

I know, I know. Stephenie Meyer. Twilight. Most people wouldn't associate these words with something well written. The lack of Bella and her mindless obsession with Edward is what made this book all the more enjoyable. But  let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Author: Stephenie Meyer
Release date: June 5th, 2010
My rating: ♔ ♔ ♔ ♔ 

The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner is the story of one of the newborn vampires we saw in Eclipse, the third book in the Twilight saga. Bree Tanner, changed at the young age of 15, has to not only learn all the rules that come with being a vampire, she has to survive living with equally confused and, well, hungry newborns. 
Victoria wants revenge on the Cullens, especially Bella, so she creates a vampire named Riley to help her raise an army. It doesn't take long for Bree to start doubting what Riley's telling them, but she's not sure if Riley isn't being lied to as well.

I really don't want to ramble on and on and to retell the entire plot. In fact, in school we had this thing where once a year in Literature, we'd have to speak about a book we've read. This was started to pretty much force teens read. When we presented the book, our teacher always said to not retell the plot, but to speak abut what our thoughts on the book are. And since our teacher was really strict, I guess I still have a trauma or something, haha. So if I can't say more than a few sentences about the plot, this is why.

If I hadn't know this book was written by the same author who wrote Twilight, honestly I wouldn't believe it. While only 184 pages long (and it seemed even shorter) it has everything a good book needs. Growing and changing relationships between characters and the two things Twilight lacked - complex characters and a plot.   This is exactly what I meant about the lack of Bella making this book even better. I don't even know how Bella can be considered a person or a human being, even. She's nothing but a shell. Throughout the first three books I strongly disliked Jacob, but when Breaking Dawn had his point of view, I actually started to like him. Reading from Bella's point of view is torturous, and Midnight Sun would be no different. Now Jacob and Bree's point of view and their personalities turn the story into something completely different. And it's not bad.  Not in the slightest. 

I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner and I wish that her life, or at least the book, had been longer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment